An Interview with Tommy Walsh
We interviewed Tommy Walsh to find out what gardening products he doesn’t like to live with out and if customer care would put him off a brand. We’re happy to say he was a very down to earth, feet on the ground celebrity with an obvious love for all things outdoor!
Wait no longer discover see what he told our editor, Martina Mercer here:
1. If you could only have 3 tools for the garden what would they be?
A mattock, a fork, a quality set of secateurs.
2. What’s your favourite tool of the moment?
My cordless strimmer, it’s quick and easy to use to finish off the lawn after mowing.
3. When looking for garden DIY products what do you advise?
Shop around for the best deal, and always buy the best quality you can afford, and never loan them out!
4. What do you think are the essential ingredients for every medium sized garden (decking/flower border/herb patch/barbecue)
Any garden no matter how small can look wonderful if well planned, a paved or decked area is necessary for relaxing and entertaining. A good quality mobile bbq is essential for the warm weather, well designed garden lighting is great value for extending those warm days into the late evening! Of course a good planting plan for the garden bearing in mind, our responsibilities to help attract and feed wild life!
5. Have you noticed any new trends in landscaping over the last 12 months?
There’s a lot of interest in using natural stone, rather than manufactured paving to give your garden that touch of class! People are also keen on having wood and metal structures built in the garden to give it height and interest.
6. What do you think of the all-weather TVs for the garden and do you have one?
I think we watch enough TV indoors, how can TV possibly compete with the great outdoors, nature, and good company!
7. What’s the easiest way our readers could improve their garden on their own this weekend?
By simply having a good tidy up, dig over flower beds, and apply fertilizer and feed in preparation for the new season.
8. Are there any items you see gardeners spending huge amounts of money on when it’s not needed (gadgets/gimmicks etc)
Some people see lawnmowers like 4×4’s and feel they need this huge machine, when a good quality petrol cylinder mower would be perfectly adequate and provide physical exercise at the same time.
9. What does your garden look like?
I love my garden, it’s very practical with a sunken natural stone terrace, which avoids us being overlooked, a lovely lawn , with raised oak bed’s for planting with fruit trees, fruit bushes, herbs, and of course tomatoes. The flowers and plants are still work in progress from a planting plan provided by Charlie Dimmock.
10. Finally, would bad customer care put you off a brand?
Yes, customer service and care is paramount in everything I do, and I expect no less when on the receiving end!
Tommy is brand ambassador of Workforce socks, perfect for wearing in the garden!
“Workforce are the hardest wearing socks I’ve ever worn and also the most comfortable. They provide me with the comfort and protection I need when I’m working hard or when I’m out and about. They’re warm, but never get too hot; they’re cushioned, extra strong and fit comfortably with my trainers, working boots and shoes. I don’t know how they’ve done it, but Workforce have made the perfect sock!”
– Tommy Walsh